Fudgy brownies filled with caramel, hazelnut chunks and white chocolate. These brownies are ultra fudgy and the crunchy hazelnuts provide a great contrast to the soft texture. If you are a caramel lover like me, your cravings will not come short as these brownies are bursting with caramel flavor.
There are two different kinds of opinions when it comes to brownies, some like them fudgy, others enjoy them cakey. I belong to the fudgy team and love it when they are super moist and gooey. Don’t get me wrong, these brownies are still cuttable and hold their shape, but they have an almost slightly underbaked taste so to say. So if you belong to the fudgy team, you will love these brownies.
I can guarantee that when you bring these to a party, you will receive compliments for them! I suggest cutting them into small slices when serving because they are incredibly rich! You don’t want to give people a sugar rush or a heart attack after all 😉 But let’s not talk calories here…some things are better left unsaid.
My last note for you: Bake these brownies however thick you would like (baking times will vary depending on the width of your baking pan) but don’t bake them in anything larger than a 20x30cm (7.8×11.8 inch) pan otherwise they will be too thin and dry out. A pan exactly that size or smaller will work well.
- 200g dark couverture (7oz)
- 150g butter (2/3 cups)
- 12 pieces soft caramels (about 150g or 5.3oz)
- 100g hazelnuts, peeled and roasted (2/3 cups)
- 100g white couverture (3.5oz)
- 3 medium eggs
- 135g brown sugar (2/3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon chocolate hazelnut extract, optional
- 100g flour (3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons), plus a little more for flouring the pan
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F. Spray a baking pan* with non stick spray and lightly flour.
- Cut couverture into small pieces and melt together with butter over a double broiler.
- In the meantime, chop the caramels, hazelnuts and white couverture into chunks. Combine together in a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl, cream together the eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract and chocolate hazelnut extract (if using) for a minute. Then fold the melted chocolate into the mixture.
- Sift the flour into the batter and gently fold under with a whisk until well combined.
- Lastly add the chopped caramels, hazelnuts and white couverture to the batter and fold under. Bake for 25-30 minutes**
- Let the brownies cool completely before cutting.
- *Use a baking pan with measurements of 20x30cm (7.8x11.8inch) or smaller
- **Baking times will vary depending on the width of the pan. Brownies are done when a crisp skin has formed on top and they have pulled away from the sides of the pan.