It can’t get any cheesier than this! This vegetarian lasagna is the ultimate comfort food- without the carbs or the meat. Filled with 3 different types of cheese, it makes a satisfying dinner.
Lasagna is one of those things you miss when you are a vegetarian. Even though I have been a vegetarian for over 5 years now, I still miss some of the dishes I used to eat. One of them being my mom’s lasagna. Her lasagna is definitely not the healthy kind, simply put, it is the delicious kind. You know, the one with the thick bechamel sauce and juicy ground beef. While I still have great memories of dishes from the past I often try to opt for healthier versions now. My husband will sometimes give me the stink eye for it. Like the last time I tried to develop a healthy brownie recipe with coconut and he said, I quote, “This is making my throat burn!” He is convinced that he has a deep hate for coconut flour ever since, which was (according to him) the evil culprit in the recipe.
But it doesn’t always end with a culinary disagreement between me and my husband and sometimes, through trail and error, a creative and delicious recipe is born. Just like this lasagna here.
Most vegetarian lasagna recipes will call for zucchini. I actually prefer eggplant over zucchini here because it just has more flavor. Besides, eggplant could use a little more attention. It is such a great vegetable but seems to get little attention in the world of food. So let’s change that and make some delicious lasagna!
I probably don’t have to tell you that I love cheese. After reading the title and seeing the pictures you probably have a good understanding of how serious I am when it comes to cheese. This lasagna contains mozzarella, ricotta (how amazing is this stuff?!) and of course good old cheddar. So don’t worry, the promises of a cheesy lasagna are fulfilled. Feel free to lighten up this recipe by using fat reduced cheese or simply using less.
Or use even more cheese. Just kidding (or am I?)…
- 2 medium eggplants
- olive oil
- 435g ricotta (1 and 3/4 cups)
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated* (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 125g mozzarella (4.4oz)
- 450g of your favorite tomato sauce (2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut both eggplants into thin slices. (You should get about 8 slices out of one eggplant). Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and bake for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- In the meantime mix the ricotta with egg, oregano, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Grate the cheddar and add half of it to the ricotta mixture, save the other half for later.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into thin slices.
- Assemble the lasagna by first adding a thin layer of tomato sauce to the bottom of the pan and then a few eggplant slices and ricotta mixture on top. Continue in this order until you reached with last layer which you then top off with the rest of the grated cheddar.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
- *Or try it with half parmesan and half cheddar cheese