Seasoned with Mexican spices this quinoa salad makes a delightful lunch. Healthy, satisfying (but not heavy) and eye-catching with vibrant colors this salad is perfect for summer days.
On these last couple of days before our vacation I am embarking on a culinary adventure. Why? Because we decided to defrost and then turn off our refrigerator and freezer while we are gone. Since we will be gone for a whole month it really makes sense to do so. But it also means that we have to eat everything that is inside. That is probably going to result in some
crazy creative recipes. I won’t be sharing those on the blog, don’t worry. I do however, love to experiment in my kitchen. When it comes to baking it is often a difficult pursuit. Cooking however is easy. Cooking doesn’t have as many rules as baking does and delicious recipes can be whipped up easily. So I was brainstorming on what to make for lunch one day when I came up with this Southwestern flavored salad.
This salad is great because not only does it provide the body with healthy carbohydrates, but it also provides a great plant-based source of protein. This combination will keep you full longer and give you an energy boost. Plus I snuck some veggies in there. So don’t worry, you can totally have your dessert after a big bowl of this healthy salad. 😉
P.S. Wouldn’t this be perfect for a picnic or bbq?
- 90g quinoa (1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 tomatoes
- 60g corn (1/3 cup)
- 60g kidney beans (1/3 cup)
- 25g grated cheddar (1/4 cup)
- lettuce, salsa, sour cream and green onions for garnishing
- Cook quinoa according to the package instructions. Do not add any salt.
- Chop the onion into small pieces and sauté in a pan with oil until glossy, about 2 minutes. Add in the cooked quinoa and taco seasoning and fry for about 4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces and wash the lettuce. Mix the quinoa with the tomatoes, corn, kidney beans and cheddar.
- To assemble, lay the lettuce into the bottom of a bowl and put the quinoa mix on top. Garnish with salsa, sour cream and green onions.