If you like light but very moist cupcakes with a wonderful boozy taste, you are going to love these. Sparkling wine in the batter, as well as the frosting really gives these mini cupcakes a festive accent, just in time for New Years Eve. They have just the right size for bringing them with to a party, and they fit perfectly into a champagne glass and look gorgeous when served with a bottle of rosé. Let the partying begin!
Lately I’ve been receiving bottles of booze from family members and friends who support my
drinking blogging habits. Alcohol is expensive, especially if you like baking with it. You might know the scenario oh too well- you only need half a cup of alcohol for your recipe but have to buy the whole bottle. On a student’s budget this can get problematic, but what wouldn’t an awesome family do as to support a young blogger…even if it means buying bottles of alcohol.
My husband supports me the most. He had the difficult job of drinking everything left over. I hate wasting food/drinks and so whatever gets left over from recipes or food photography has to be eaten. This can be a fun scenario when you popped open two bottles of sparkling wine while coming up with a festive New Years Eve recipe. But it was definitely worth it, as these turned out just perfect.
When creating this recipe I ended up with 80 miniature cupcakes in my kitchen. The first attempt was too heavy on the butter and didn’t shout out sparkling wine the way I imagined them to. But by the second batch, the measurements really did line up. Try these and see what I’m talking about.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! 🙂
- 200g flour (1 1/2cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100g butter, softened (3 and 1/2 oz)
- 180g white granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 2 large eggs plus extra 1 yoke
- 120ml milk (1/2 cup)
- 3 drops almond extract
- 120ml sparkling wine (1/2 cup)
- Red and pink Wilton gel food colors (optional)
- Silver sugar pearls, large and small (optional)
- 125g butter (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon)
- 500g powdered sugar (18oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sparkling wine
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line your mini muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour with salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for about 2min with an electric handmixer.
- Add in the eggs and mix until well combined.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients- milk, almond extract, food colors and sparkling wine and mix until well incorporated.
- With a teaspoons fill the liners with batter 3/4 full.
- Bake for 12min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (Or 22min for regular size cupcakes.)
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, salt and sparkling wine and continue to mix.
- Add the water one tablespoon at a time until your frosting has the consistency of ice cream.
- Frost the cupcakes- I used a Wilton 22 tip. Starting from the outside, pipe a ring and continue piping in a circular motion going inwards.
- Decorate with sugar pearls if desired.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.