A sweet delicious homemade jam with notes of cinnamon
- 1kg (2.2 lbs) chopped apples
- 1kg (2.2 lbs) chopped pears
- 700g (1.5 lbs) granulated sugar
- 2 sachets pectin* 3:1
- 1 teaspoon citric acid
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Peel and cut the apples and pears into small pieces. After peeling and coring you should have 2kg of fruit.
- Add a little bit of water to the bottom of a large pot and add all the ingredients. Cook until the fruit is soft, stirring occasionaly. Once the fruit is soft, purée everything until smooth.
- Then bring it to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes. The mixture should bubble heavily.
- Then take a small scoop and put it on a plate. Tilt the plate. If the jam runs down the plate quickly it still needs to cook a bit longer. If it is thick and slides down slowly, it is ready.
- Pour boiling water into the prepared glasses and onto the lids to sterilize them. Remove the water and carefully pour the hot jam into the glasses using a funnel and seal tightly. Let them cool completely.
- *pectin- enough for 2kg fruit (it says on the package how much you need). 3:1 is the ratio for fruit and sugar (3 parts fruit to 1 part sugar)
- store the jam in a cool and dry place (eg. basement)