Moist apple walnut muffins with notes of cinnamon and cloves.
- 180g flour (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 80g butter, melted and slightly cooled (1/3 cup)
- 10 tablespoons honey, such as Langnese Obstblütenhonig
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg, room temperature
- 240g sweetened applesauce (1 cup)
- 100g chopped walnuts (1 cup)
- 1 small apple
- Preheat the oven to 220C and line a 12-cavity muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves and whisk together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, honey and vanilla extract and whisk together until smooth.
- Mix in the egg and applesauce. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until well combined.
- Fold the chopped walnuts into the batter. Then fill the batter into the prepared muffin liners.
- Slice the apple into very thin slices and gently press 3 slices onto each of the muffins.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to 180C and bake for another 15 minutes, until the muffins are done and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the muffins cool completely.
Thank you to our friends at Langnese Honig for sponsoring this post!