A colourful autumn salad with balsamic glazed onions, fresh pears and crunchy walnuts topped off with a ginger vinaigrette.
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 pears
- 150g lambs lettuce (5.3oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing, whisk together all the ingredients until well combined.
- To make the salad, cut the onions and the pears into thin slices and set aside. Wash the lambs lettuce and remove any excess water.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil and sauté the onions for about 3 minutes or until soft. Then add the brown sugar and water and continue cooking until onions are nicely caramelized. Deglaze with balsamic vinegar.
- Divide the lambs lettuce on 4 plates, add the pear slices and warm onions. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top and add the dressing. Serve immediately.