Red berries and whipped cream layered between a moist vanilla cake
- 320g pastry flour (2 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150g butter, softend (2/3 cups)
- 300g white granulated sugar (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 medium eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 300ml buttermilk, at room temperature (1 and 1/4 cup)
- 300g fresh strawberries
- a few drops of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tabelspoons sugar
- 480ml heavy cream (2 cups)
- 1 sachet whipped cream stabilizer
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 240g mascarpone (1 cup)
- 250g fresh strawberries (8.9oz)
- 125g fresh raspberries (4.4oz)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F and generously spray 4 pans with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and stir together with a whisk.
- Cut the vanilla pods lengthwise with a sharp knife and scrape out the seeds.
- In a the bowl of a standmixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla and cream together for 5-6min on high speed. Then add in the eggs, one at a time and cream for another minute.
- Then turn down the speed to the lowest setting and add in the flour mixture and buttermilk alternatingly until all is combined.
- Fill the batter into the pans and tap each pan down on your countertops 3 times to get any air to the top.
- Bake for 20 min (oven times may vary) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the layers cool before removing from the pans. Level as needed.
- Ruffly chop the strawberries. Add strawberries, lemon juice and sugar to a saucepan and cook over medium high until strawberries have released their juices and are soft. Puree them in a blender and pass through a sieve.
- Whip the heavy cream with the stabilizer and vanilla sugar until stiff. Fold in the mascarpone.
- Wash the strawberries and raspberries and cut the strawberries into slices.
- On a layer of vanilla cake pipe a ring of cream filling around the outer edges with Wilton 1A tip or any other large round tip. Flood the inner part with more cream filling and then spread a thin layer of strawberry sauce on top. Place strawberriews and raspberries on top. Then add the second layer of cake and continue until you’ve stacked all layers on top of each other.
- To decorate the last layer simply spread some cream filling on top and garnish with berries and flowers as desired. Serve any leftover strawberry sauce in a jug so guests can pour it over their cake slices.
Vanilla cake layers can be made a day ahead and stored by wrapping them tightly with plastic wrap so they won’t dry out.
If you are transporting this cake, I highly recommend to assemble it at your destination.