A delicious custard like cake with fresh blueberries.
Is there anything better than the French cuisine? Ok, well the Italian does come quite close… In a perfect world I would have Italian for lunch and French as dessert. After all, the French have truly mastered dessert! So many types of pastries originate from France that we now enjoy all over the world. French desserts are so much more than just croissants.
Enter Clafoutis: an easy and quick flan-like dessert originally made with (unpitted) cherries. Technically speaking, if clafoutis is made with something other than cherries it is actually called flaugnarde. But we are not here to debate the langue we are here to talk about food. (My favorite topic by the way.)
So if you purists out there can forgive me and keep on reading you are in for a real treat. What is so special about this flat cake with fruit? Well for starters it is simple to make. You only need a few ingredients and about 10 minutes (depending on how fast you can grate a lemon). Despite it’s simplicity the flavor is quite unique. Due to the lower ratio of flour, the consistency reminds of custard. No extra fat is needed for this dessert to taste rich. That’s right, as you can tell from the ingredient list, there is no butter or oil in this recipe. Hurray for less calories! In fact, this could almost be titled a healthy cake
✓no extra fat
✓a portion of fruit
Check and check! But jokes aside, this is a great dish for entertaining. It comes together so quick that even if you are in a rush you can fit in those extra 10 minutes to whip this up. (Or if you want to make an effortless dessert on a weeknight for your family.) I know my husband certainly appreciated all the blueberry clafoutis in our oven that was left over from a longer series of recipe development. I think he secretly wishes I was still running a food blog. Alas hon, I also write about make up now.
What is your go-to dessert if you are in a rush? Let me know in the comment section down below!Print
a custard like dessert with fresh blueberries
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35
- non-stick spray
- 100g all-purpose flour (3/4 cup)
- 70g white granulated sugar (1/3 cup)
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 250ml whole milk (1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- *100g fresh blueberries (1 cup)
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 180C or 350F and grease an iron skillet with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest in a bowl. Work the lemon zest into the flour mixture with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk and eggs and beat with a hand mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and beat on low for a few seconds until combined. Pour into the iron skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- **Serve warm, dusted with powdered sugar and extra blueberries on the side.
- *Feel free to add more or less blueberries, depending on your preference.
- ** And/or with a serving of whipped cream.
- Serving Size: 4