Do you have any stale brioche or croissants in your bread box? Don’t throw them away! Rather use them for a delicious breakfast casserole! Creamy mascarpone, heavy cream, fresh lemons and bursting blueberries with brioche make a wonderful breakfast bake.
My husband is the kind of guy who makes friends anywhere. If you were to put him in a room with a stranger, they’d be friends within 5 min, no kidding. So it happened that when my husband was teaching a first aid class he befriended a guy who was partaking in his course. Turns out this new friend is a baker and gifted my husband some brioche and croissants as a thank you for a great course. My husband brought 2 bags of brioche home, way more than we both could eat. If you ever had brioche before, you know that it’s only good for one day and immediately stale the next. So 3 days later I was planning to throw it out…but then it hit me.
What a shame to let it go to waste. Why not try baking into a sweet casserole? And that is exactly what I did. I love the result as all of the staleness was gone and all that was left was fluffy, lemony brioche with sweet blueberries.
So let’s get to this delicious recipe. First you need to cut up the brioche (or other kinds of sweet pastry you are using) into chunks and put into a baking pan. You do not need to coat the baking pan with oil.
Then pour the milk and egg mixture onto the pastries, making sure they are evenly covered.
Lastly add in your blueberries, and mix everything together gently. Put into the oven and bake for 50 min. Let it set for 10 min and serve with powdered sugar. It’s really as simple as that. Bon appétit!
Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Casserole
A soft, delicious and lemony breakfast casserole bursting with blueberries
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 casserole (serves 2-3)
- 4 stale brioche pastries, criossants or other pastry of your choice
- 170ml heavy cream (3/4 cups)
- 80ml milk (1/3 cup)
- 70g white granulated sugar (1/3 cup)
- 2 and 1/2 heaping tablespoons of mascarpone
- 55g butter, melted (1/4 cup)
- zest from one lemon
- juice from one lemon
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g fresh blueberries*
- powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350F.
- Cut the stale pastry into chunks and put into the baking pan.
- Mix together the heavy cream, milk, sugar, mascarpone, melted butter, lemon zest and lemon juice until you have a smooth mixture.
- Then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the pastries. Top off with blueberries and mix gently to combine everything.
- Bake for 50 min, covering with an aluminum foil once the top has reached a golden color.
- Let it set for 10 min, then sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve while hot.
- If using frozen blueberries instead of fresh ones, do not thaw, add them to the casserole frozen.