Moist chocolate cupcakes with creamy mascarpone frosting and swirls of fresh raspberry.
- 125g flour (1 cup)
- 45g unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 120ml oil (1/2 cup)
- 180g brown sugar (1 cup)
- 1 medium egg
- 120ml buttermilk (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120ml hot coffee (1/2 cup)
- 110g frozen raspberries (1 cup)
- 240g mascarpone, chilled (1 cup)
- 170g powdered sugar, sifted (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 fresh raspberries for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 150°C or 300°F and place liners into a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together, stirring with a whisk until well combined
- In a seperate bowl cream together the oil and sugar for 2 min. Then add in the egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix for an additional minute.
- Pour both mixtures together and mix until no flour specs remain. Then slowly add the hot coffee to the batter while continuousy mixing. Don’t be surprised, the batter will be very thin at this point.
- Now pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each liner 3/4 full. Bake for about 35 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let them cool completely.
- Cook raspberries on stovetop until they have released their juices and most of them have broken down. Then puree until smooth and pass through a sieve and let cool completely.
- Mix together mascarpone, powdered sugar (make sure it’s sifted!) and salt in a bowl and cream together for 2 min.
- *To get a two colored swirl effect, fill half of the raspberry sauce into your piping bag letting four stripes drip down horizontally into the bag. Then fill half of the mascarpone mix into the bag and pipe on to the cupcakes (I used a Wilton 2D tip). Use only half so you can repeat the process and fill raspberry sauce and mascarpone mix into the piping bag once more to not lose the effect while piping.
- Garnish with raspberries.
Store these cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. *If you would rather have the frosting be in pink altogether, simply fold the raspberry sauce into the mascarpone mix instead of adding both seperatly into the piping bag.