a fluffy and moist banana bread with a rich chocolate flavour
- 250g flour (2 cups)
- 25g cocoa, sifted (1/3 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large, very ripe bananas
- 110g butter, softened (1 stick)
- 100g brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 100g white sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 180ml buttermilk (3/4 cup)
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F and coat a bread pan with non stick spray.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and stir with a whisk.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Then add in the eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition. Slowly pour in the buttermilk and continue mixing. Lastly fold in the mashed bananas
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet and gently stir with a wooden spoon until no flour specs remain. Be careful not to over mix!
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Check the banana bread after 40 minutes and then every 5 minutes to avoid over baking as oven times may vary.
- Eat on the second day for a more intense flavour.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature, or 4 days in the fridge.