Spiced with cinnamon, cardamom and curry this sweet potato curry is a lovely combination of sweet and savory. This recipe yields a big batch, ideal for making ahead and eating during the week.
I have finally started meal planning. After hearing countless bloggers, youtubers and friends talk about it, I have finally embraced the idea. For a long time I was hesitant because I enjoy being flexible and cooking whatever I crave on the same day, but as I was facing a stressful week I decided to give it a try. I’m glad I did because it saved me a great deal of time and the week seemed easier to manage without having to worry about cooking dinner or lunch. I spent my Saturday cooking up 3 different meals, one of them being this delicious sweet potato curry. I also made some apple cider which was a delicious treat for the evenings especially when friends came over. You never know who might stop by and it is always nice to have some warm apple cider on hand.
If you haven’t tried meal planning before, I highly suggest you try it! While I certainly wouldn’t meal plan for a whole month (lets face it, cravings change), taking some time on the weekend to plan and cook the meals for the week makes sense because you will notice that it not only saves you time but also money on the long run. You are less likely to let groceries go bad and will also be forced to keep an overview of your fridge content. After trying out meal planning, my fridge is more empty than full. I know exactly what I have on stock and what I need to buy the next time I go grocery shopping. I’m loving the concept and how it also makes it easier to eat healthy.
This sweet potato curry with broccoli, cauliflower and chickpeas is great for making ahead of time as it keeps well. It is also great for cold months (such as now) because it is flavored with warming spices. Such as..
Heating the spices with some coconut oil really brings out their flavor and you will have a wonderful aromatic curry. If you prefer a spicy curry, feel free to adapt the spices to your liking, eg. add some more pepper or use a spicy curry.
Let me know if you try this recipe and how you liked it, I always love hearing feedback from you guys!Print
Easy Sweet Potato Curry (vegan)
a sweet and savory curry
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 65
- 1 broccoli
- 1 cauliflower
- 3 carrots
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cardamom seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of curry
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (800ml) coconut milk
- 1 can (800g) chickpeas
- 1 cup (185g) rice, cooked
- Wash and cut the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Peel the the sweet potatoes and also cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add all the spices. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Combine the chopped vegetables, spices and coconut milk in a large pot and cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Then turn off the heat and add in the chickpeas. Leave the curry on the hot stovetop so it can thicken.
- Serve with your favorite type of rice and fresh herbs.
- Store in the refridgerator up to 5 days or longer.
- Serving Size: 12