A rich and velvety homemade lemon curd.
- 5 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg
- 125ml lemon juice (about 2 and 1/2 lemons)
- zest from 2 organic lemons
- 100g white granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- pinch of salt
- 60g butter, cubed and chilled (1/4 cup)
- Combine egg yolks, egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and salt in a bowl. Whip until well combined.
- Transfer to a double boiler and cook (while continuously mixing!) over medium heat until the mixture reaches 70°C (160°F) or until it resembles the consistency of cheese sauce or sauce hollandaise. This should take about 10-15 min.
- Remove from heat and and add in the cubed butter, stir until it dissolves.
- Pour into a clean glass jar and cover the top of the curd with plastic wrap to avoid a skin from forming. Let it cool down to room temperatur and then store sealed tightly in the fridge.
This recipe yields a little under 2 cups of lemon curd.
Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.