Sweet and salty vegan truffles with a slight umami flavor
- 150 g vegan dark chocolate (5.3 oz)
- 70 g white granulated sugar (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 60 ml water (1/4 cup)
- 40 ml vegan heavy cream (1/8 cup plus 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon light miso paste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 30 g shelled salted pistachios, chopped (1 oz)
- silicon molds
- 50 g vegan dark chocolate (1.7 oz)
- 1 small handful of chopped pistachios
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler.* Coat the molds with a part of the chocolate and place into the freezer to harden.
- Melt the sugar and water in a heavy pan on medium heat, without stirring until it reaches an amber color.
- Add in the butter and miso paste and stir everything together.
- Pour the heavy cream and maple syrup and let it cook for another minute, stirring well.
- Remove from the heat and add in the chopped pistachios.
- Spoon the caramel into the chocolate shells and let it cool in the fridge (not the freezer) until firm.
- Then close the truffles with the remaining chocolate (reheat if it has become too thick) and chill once more in the fridge. Once the chocolate has hardened, demold the truffles and store in the fridge.
- If desired, melt a bit of extra chocolate, fill into a piping bag and pipe a diagonal pattern across the surface of the truffles. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
*To create a double boiler, cover the bottom of a pot with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and place a heat-proof bowl on top (the bowl should not touch the water). Melt the ingredients in the bowl over the steam.
Keywords: miso caramel, vegan truffles, pistachio truffles, miso caramel truffles