Finally- a foolproof gluten free pie dough recipe!
- 240g gluten free flour (2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 150g butter or dairy free butter, chilled (2/3 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 115ml ice water (1/2 cup), plus 1-2 tablespoons
- 1 egg white, whisked (optional)
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Cut the chilled butter into cubes and freeze for 10min. Then add to the flour mixture, pulse until butter pieces are pea sized.
- Add in the egg and pulse twice. Then add in the ice water, starting with 115 ml (1/2 cup) and adding more if necessary. The dough should stick together but not be too sticky to handle.
- Roll into 2 equal size balls and cover with foil. With a rolling pin, flatten into discs. Then chill for at least an hour or up to 2 days in the fridge.
- Roll out the chilled dough, slightly bigger than the pie dish. Transfer to the pie dish and brush with a whisked egg white. Chill while preparing the filling. Or stop here and make an open face pie.
- If making a double crust pie, fill your pie. Roll out the second disc and sculpt over the filling. Crimp and add slits to let out steam. Bake according to chosen recipe.