This super moist vegan chocolate cake with creamy chocolate frosting is a chocolate lover’s dream come true!
- 360 ml oat milk (1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 250g flour (2 cups)
- 300g white granulated sugar (1 1/2 cups)
- 80g unsweetened cocoa powder (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 240 ml apple sauce (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml coconut oil*, melted (1/2 cup)
- 200g vegan dark chocolate (7 oz.)
- 180 ml vegan heavy cream (3/4 cup)
- 120g vegan butter (1 stick)
- 100g powdered sugar (2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- raspberry jam, or jam of choice for filling
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan and melt over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour into a bowl, let it cool down a bit at room temperature and then chill in the fridge for about 2 1/2 hours, until slightly firm but still spreadable.
- Stir it a few times with a spoon, to get a bit of air into the frosting (no need to whip it with a mixer).
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and grease two 20 cm (8 inch) cake pans. Cut out a piece of parchment paper with the same circumference as the pans and place on the bottom of the pans for easier removable (no need to cover the sides).
- Combine the oat milk and apple cider vinegar to create a ‘buttermilk’, stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- To a separate bowl, add the apple sauce and the vanilla, then the oil – while whisking continuously. Then add the ‘buttermilk’ mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until no flour specs remain.
- Divide the mixture evenly into your prepared cake pans and bake in the middle rack of the oven for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool entirely before removing them from the pans.
- Place the first cake layer upside down, peel off the parchment paper and add a layer of frosting. Add a layer of jam on top.
- Then place the second cake layer on top, peel off the parchment paper and add a generous layer of frosting. Using a spatula or a spoon create little swirls.
*Cannot be substituted for other types of oils, otherwise the cake won’t be sufficiently stable.
Recipe adapted from Pick Up Limes Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake.
Keywords: vegan chocolate cake, moist chocolate cake, vegan cake, easy vegan chocolate cake