Sweet, slightly sour and spiced with warming winter spices: this vegan cranberry apple galette is a festive and delicious dessert to make this season.
- 200g flour
- 50g caster sugar
- zest of ½ organic lemon
- 100g vegan butter, chilled
- 3–4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 medium apple (about 150 g)
- 70g brown sugar (1/3 cup)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon water
- 250g cranberries (2 1/2 cups)
- blanched sliced almonds for decor
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Combine the flour, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl. Cut the cold butter into cubes and using a pastry cutter or your hands, work the butter into the dough until the butter chucks are pea-sized.
- Add the water, one tablespoon at a time, and combine until the flour is moistened. Knead the dough a few times on a lightly floured surface (if it seems dry, add one more tablespoon of water) until it comes together. Don’t overwork the dough.
- Shape it into a flat disc and wrap tightly in foil. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- To make the filling, peel, core and cut the apple into thin slices.
- Stir together the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and water in a bowl.
- Combine one tablespoon of the sugar mixture with the apple slices. Add the cranberries to the rest of the sugar mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper (also flouring the topside of your dough and your rolling pin) until you have a circle of 30 cm ø (12 inches).
- Transfer the dough (along with the parchment paper underneath) onto a baking sheet.
- Leaving a 7 cm (2.8 inch) border, layer the apple slices onto the dough, then add the cranberries on top.
- Trim the edge with a pizza cutter to get a uniform circle. Then fold in the sides towards the middle.
- Brush the edges with water and decorate with almond slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let it cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.
See post above for make ahead tips and storage tips.
Keywords: vegan cranberry galette, vegan apple cranberry galette, vegan Christmas galette