Watch the recipe video here
- 200g flour (1 and 1/4 cups)
- 500 ml oat milk (2 cups and 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, sieved
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil
- 500g fresh strawberries (1.1 lbs)
- 300g fresh rhubarb (10.6 oz)
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch*
- vegan butter or oil for frying
- vegan vanilla yoghurt or yoghurt of choice for filling
- powdered sugar for dusting, optional
- Add all the ingredients to a mixer and blend until smooth. Pour through a sieve (this helps get rid of any potential lumps) into a bowl. Cover and let the dough rest for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Lightly grease a 25.5 cm (9 inch) non-stick pan with vegan butter or oil and turn the heat up to high. Before adding the batter, turn the heat down to medium and add ¼ cup batter to the pan. Swirl around until the batter covers the bottom of the pan evenly and cook until the edges are gold brown and crisp. Gently flip the crêpe and cook the other side for a few seconds.
- Transfer the cooked crêpe to a large plate and repeat with the remaining batter. If needed, grease the pan between each crêpe. (If you have a good non-stick pan, this shouldn’t be necessary.)
- Quarter the strawberries and cut the rhubarb stalks into 1 cm (0.4 inch) large pieces.
- Add the fruit and the sugar to a saucepan and cook until the fruit starts to release its juices and is almost soft.
- Combine the cornstarch with a small amount of water and add to the compote. Continue cooking until the compote has thickened (like very thick syrup). Let it cool slightly before serving.
- Spread a bit of vegan yoghurt onto your crêpe, fold into a triangle, dust with powdered sugar and serve with the strawberry rhubarb compote.
*If your fruit is very watery you may need to add more.
Keywords: vegan crêpes, strawberry rhubarb compote, sweet vegan crêpes