A frothy homemade vanilla milk with a hint of caramel.
- 50g white granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- 200ml heavy cream (2/3 cups plus 3 tablespoons)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 750ml whole milk (3 cups)
- meringue kisses for garnishing, optional
- vanilla beans for garnishing, optional
- In a medium saucepan, add the sugar and 2 and 1/2 tablespoons water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let the mixture simmer until the caramel has reached a golden brown color (do not stir). Once the caramel has reached a deep golden brown, immediately remove from the heat.
- Carefully add in the heavy cream and stir to combine. (The mixture will clump, that’s okay.) Place back onto the stove and cook until the mixture is smooth and no clumps remain.
- Scrape out the seeds of the vanilla bean and add the seeds, maple syrup and milk to the saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until frothy. Garnish with meringue kisses and/or vanilla beans.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Recipe inspired by Frisch Gekocht Okt. 2013