An authentic Greek tzatziki that pairs well with grilled meat and veggies
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 800g Greek yoghurt, or soy yoghurt for a vegan version (1.8lbs)
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- mint or dill
- Kalamata olives, optional
- Wash and grate the cucumber. Place it into a sieve above a bowl and season it with 1 teaspoon salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, squeeze as much of the water out of the cucumber as you can and discard the water. Combine the grated cucumber with the rest of the ingredients.
- Garnish with Kalamata olives and extra mint or dill and drizzle with additional olive oil.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.