- 100g fresh rhubarb (1 stalk)
- 120g fresh strawberries (4.2 oz)
- 200g flour (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 120g butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 150g white granulated sugar (3/4 cups)
- 2 eggs
- 180g sour cream (3/4 cups)
- 50 ml milk (2 and 1/2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 60g flour (3 tablespoons)
- 60g sugar (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 220 C (425 F) and line a 12-cavity muffin tin with liners.
- Cut the rhubarb stalk into thin slices and dice the strawberries.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter with the vanilla extract until fluffy, for about 1 minute. Add in the sugar and eggs and continue beating until it is well combined. Then mix in the sour cream and milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together until completely combined. Avoid overmixing. The batter will be thick. Add 1/3 of the chopped rhubarb and strawberries to the batter.
- To make the streusels, combine all the ingredients and mix together with a fork until you have a crumbly and loose texture.
- Assemble the muffins by filling them up halfway with batter, adding the chopped rhubarb and strawberries on top and sprinkling them with the streusel mix.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the heat to 180 C (350 F) and continue baking for another 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Keywords: strawberry, rhubarb, muffins, streusel muffins, breakfast