Simple and quick, this spinach pasta is the definition of homemade comfort food for busy weeknights.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 300g rotini noodles (10.6oz)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200g fresh spinach*
- 200ml heavy cream (3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
- 70g parmigiano-reggiano (1 cup), plus more for garnishing
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta according to instructions.
- In the meantime, finely chop the onion and mince the garlic. Add olive oil to a large pan and sauté both for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the spinach and cook on medium-high until it has wilted down. (The spinach leaves will try to stick together, but separate them as best as possible.)
- Add the heavy cream, nutmeg, pepper and salt and stir to combine. Then add in the parmigiano-reggiano, turn the heat to low and simmer until the cheese has melted.
- Drain and rinse the noodles and add them to the sauce. Combine everything well and let the pasta cool a bit so it soaks up the liquids.
- Sprinkle with extra parmigiano-reggiano and serve.
*If subbing with frozen spinach use 300g (10.6oz)
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.