Perfect as a late night snack with a glass of red, these crackers contain 0 carbs but are super crispy and delicious. Goodbye chips, hello cheese crackers!
These crackers are made with 3 ingredients, yes only 3 simple ingredients and taste so amazing that it’s almost unbelievable. I mean seriously, how can cheese turn into something so wonderful (within just 10 minutes baking time) that you would be willing to ditch a bag of chips for it? We do have a bag of chips sitting in our pantry but ever since I made these crackers they have been left untouched…even by my husband. Now that says a lot.
Making this crunchy snack does not require much skill, or even time. You also don’t need any special cooking equipment, because these are darn simple. I wanted to make them a little more fancy, so I used a cookie cutter to make them all round and the same size, but if that’s too much work for you, you can just spread the grated cheese all over your baking sheet like a
savage convenience preferred person. Sprinkle them with black pepper before popping them into the oven or use your favorite herbs. Once they are done baking, you can simply break them into pieces and voila, you have successfully ditched the cookie cutter. Whichever method you chose, the baking process is the same.
What is the best way to enjoy these? You can munch on them as a snack with your favorite wine, or you can add them as a crunchy addition to a platter of cold cuts. I served these alongside an assortment of cheeses, grapes, spread, antipasto and some baguette. If you are planning to entertain, you can make these a couple of days ahead and store them in an airtight container to keep them crispy. I promise you, any cheese lover will love these!
Homemade Cheese Crackers
Crunchy goodness without the carbs!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 12
- 90g grated parmesan (1 cup)
- 50 grated cheddar (1/2 cup)*
- freshly ground black pepper and/or herbs
- Preheat your oven to 200°C or 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the parmesan and the cheddar.
- Option one: Take a cookie cutter and place onto your baking sheet. Sprinkle a small amount of grated cheese into the cookie cutter and remove. Pat down, making sure you only have a thin layer of cheese.
- Or option number two: simply sprinkle the cheese onto the baking sheet making sure you have a thin layer without holes.
- Sprinkle with black pepper or herbs of your choice and bake for 10 minutes. About halfway through, take out the sheet and pat away any excess grease on the top of the crackers and put back into the oven.
- Turn the oven off after the 10 minutes are up but leave in the hot oven for about 3-5 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn. This really helps them to crisp up.
- Take them out and let them cool completely. Break into pieces if you didn’t bake them in circles.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week, outside the fridge.
*You can also omit the cheddar and just use parmesan if you wish.