Simple, refreshing lemonade, only 3 ingredients required! I first made this 2 years ago and I have been making it ever since!
After a bunch of gloomy winter days with little sun, I was in the mood for something refreshing. Sadly, most fruit you can buy at this time of year has little flavor. It’s as though everything tastes like water. With one exception though- citrus fruits! Citrus fruits have amazing flavor during the winter and are a great pick me up with their sour note.
So there I was squeezing a bag of lemons and not too long after enjoying fresh sparkling lemonade. Because it really doesn’t take very long. (Even my husband has the patience to make lemonade.) Doesn’t that prove something. 🙂 If you have kids, this is also a fun activity to do with them. So next time you’re at the store go pick up a bag of lemons and try this at home!
- 250g white granulated sugar (1 and 1/4 cup)
- 250ml freshly squeezed lemon juice, sieved (about 6 lemons)
- sparkling water
- ice cubes (optional)
- 2 organic lemons, cut into slices or triangles (optional)
- In a small sauce pan, add sugar and lemon juice and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Your syrup is done when you rub it between your fingers and cannot feel any sugar granules anymore.
- Fill into a clean glass bottle and let it cool.
- To assemble, add a small amount of syrup to the each glass. Fill with ice cubes and lemon slices and pour sparkling water on top.
- Stir and serve.
- This recipe yields 1 bottle of lemon syrup.
- Store the rest of the syrup in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.