Refreshing, light and moist lemon cupcakes that are perfect for summer time.
I’m happy to announce that we have finally settled into our new home here in Switzerland! I’m incredibly sorry for the break, moving and unpacking all our things took up all of my time. The whole move was definitely stressful, but with planning ahead and keeping a binder with all our to-dos and appointments everything ran smoothly and was organised well (at least as organised as a move can be ;)).
During my break I collected a lot of exciting ideas for new posts so stay tuned for those! Moving to a new home really inspired me and brought up new possibilities, eg. we have a garden now! If you know me well, then you know that having a garden was always a big dream of mine. The possibility of growing your own vegetables and herbs is just awesome. While the garden certainly offers more possibilities it also provides new challenges for us. (We are currently battling an army of ants that feel very much at home in our apartment!)
In between settling in, I also drove back to Vienna to do one last wedding. I spent the weekend baking 90 cupcakes, my shirt covered in cocoa powder and frosting in my hair. It was a wonderful and exhausting time. One of the recipes I made were these lemon cupcakes here that were received incredibly well. The recipe is an adaption from my lemon cake. It took me a while to create a cupcake version of the cake, which meant that I had to bake various versions of the cupcakes and taste test. I know, the horror, poor me having to eat all those cupcakes! 😉 I love the final version though, because just like the cake, these lemon cupcakes are filled with tons of lemon, are super moist and very fluffy. Lemony-perfection so to say. To make a beautiful frosting swirls, I used a Wilton 12 round tip and a 32 open star tip as well as disposable piping bags.
While the temperature continues climbing, I constantly crave anything lemon, like this homemade lemon syrup. Is it just me or do you have lemon craving during hot weather too?! What are your summer cravings? Let me know in the comment section down below, I’d love to know.
- 260g flour (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 115g butter (1 stick)
- 220g sugar (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 250ml buttermilk (1 cup)
- 150g butter (2/3 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 500g powdered sugar (4 cups)
- juice of half a lemon
- water (if needed)
- 1 lemon for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C and line a muffin tray with liners.
- Sift the flour and combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 2min. Then add in the sugar and lemon zest and beat for an additional 2min.
- Continue beating the mixture while adding in the eggs one at a time. Then add in the lemon juice.
- With the lowest speed setting on, alternatingly add in the flour mixture and the buttermilk.
- Pour the cupcake batter into the prepared liners and bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Combine butter and salt in a bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and lemon juice and continue beating until you have a homogenous mass. Add in water if necessary. The frosting should have a medium consistency.
- Fill the frosting into a piping bag, and using a Wilton 12 and 32 tip, pipe the frosting in a swirling motion unto the cupcakes.
- Garnish with lemon slices.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.