A fluffy and soft Swiss roll filled with strawberries and whipped cream, topped of with a homemade berry sauce.
A Swiss roll is the perfect recipe for times when you want to make a cake but do not wish to go through with all the work. It’s an impressive dessert that is thrown together within an hour and it never fails to impress guests. It’s incredibly easy to make and tastes soooo good. The fluffy whipped cream with a hint of vanilla alongside the fresh strawberries makes a refreshing and light summer dessert. Perfect for summer bbqs, parties, baby showers and picnics.
How was your weekend? I had my weekend all planned out to the dot. I was supposed to take some time for myself and work out, eat a lot of salads and spend quality time with my husband. What actually happened was I spent my Saturday working and Sunday binge watching Timeless on Netflix with my husband. (We are totally hooked on this series). I only had 1 salad and never got to the working out part of the plan. Ah don’t you just love it when things go according to plan? We did however, find some time to bake together, which is always a fun experience. We ended up making snickerdoodles and about 5 kilos (at least it felt like 5 kilos) of sweet potato gnocchi which we then froze. It was a semi-productive weekend you could say. 🙂
If you have never made a Swiss roll before, you can go here for a more detailed overview of all the steps including a photo for every important step. Don’t feel intimidated just because I go into great detail. There are multiple steps, but they aren’t difficult! The most important thing to remember when making a Swiss roll is to spread the batter evenly on your baking sheet. This will ensure that your sponge cake rises evenly and doesn’t get too crispy on the edges which could then crack when rolling. As long as you spread the batter out evenly and do not overbake it, your roll will not crack. That’s a promise! Another important step is to roll it up in a damp kitchen cloth as soon as you take it out of the oven. You want to let it cool completely in the damp kitchen towel. The roll takes up some of the moisture from the kitchen towel and because incredibly soft. It’s such a cool trick!
To ensure that you get strawberries in every bite, it is vital to cut the strawberries into small pieces. The smaller the better. This way they do not get pushed to the end of the roll as you are rolling it, but stay evenly distributed throughout the entire roll. To give the filling more flavour, we are adding some real vanilla to the whipped cream. It’s so delicious!
For decorations I kept it simple by piping small decorations with a tiny bit of the whipped cream I used for the filling. I used a Wilton 2D tip for this. I topped it off with fresh raspberries and powdered sugar and served a fresh berry sauce alongside the roll. The berry sauce is obviously optional but I highly recommend it! It freshens the dish up and adds a gorgeous pop of color. If you do not have enough fresh berries on hand you can also make the sauce with frozen berries. Simply heat the berries in a pot until they start to break down before continuing with the recipe.
If you give this strawberry roll a try, let me know in the comment section down below! Also be sure to share your creation on Instagram and tag it with #homebakedbliss so I can see it. 🙂Print
a fluffy and moist Swiss roll filled with whipped cream and fresh strawberries, served with a tangy and sweet homemade berry sauce
- 120g flour (1 cup)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 120g powdered sugar (1 cup)
- 150g strawberries (1 cup)
- 250ml heavy cream (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 30g powdered sugar (1/4 cup)
- 160g fresh strawberries (1 cup)
- 125g fresh raspberries (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2–4 tablespoons water
- Combine all ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary, until you reached the desired consistency.
- Preheat your oven to 200C or 400F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl and stir with a whisk until well combined.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and 1/3 of the powdered sugar for about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form with a handmixer mixer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks and rest of the powdered sugar and beat until pale for about 2 minutes. Add in the flour mixture and fold under with a whisk until well incorporated.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter until well incorporated. Be careful not to overwork the batter!
- Spread the batter onto the parchment paper, making sure it is evenly distributed on the baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare a kitchen towel by dampening it and sprinkling it with a bit of powdered sugar. Cut the strawberries into small pieces and set aside.
- Flip the hot roll onto the damp kitchen towel, removing the parchment paper. Roll it tightly and let it cool completely.
- To prepare the filling, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Then add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fill the roll with the whipped cream, add the strawberries and roll it up lengthwise. Cut off both ends with a serrated knife.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar shortly before serving. Serve with berry sauce.
- Store the roll in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 6