This cake is packed with fresh apples, lots of cinnamon and has a delicious cinnamon-sugar topping. It gets its wonderful moisture from lots of cream cheese and tastes like a cross between a cheesecake and a coffee cake. It has the smooth velvety taste of a cheesecake and the soft crumb of a coffee cake. Who doesn’t like having the best of both worlds? 🙂
I love this cake a lot. This might have something to do with the fact that it contains apples and cinnamon. First of all, these two ingredients go together so well! (I think everybody would agree with me here.) Also though because apples are my favorite fruit and I love baking with them. I know that most people prefer something fancy, like berries and melons and so on.. But I like apples. Why? Because:
- They are always available and ripe
- They taste great
- There are so many varieties to choose from
- They aren’t expensive, not even in the winter
Quite convincing, right? Now that we are all apple fans here, I can continue telling you about this cake. The most work is cutting the apples, the rest of the steps are done in no time. If the top should crack a bit, you won’t see it due to the wonderful topping. The crunch of the cinnamon-sugar topping creates a great contrast to the soft cake. Go ahead and try this cheesecake/coffee cake and see for yourself! 🙂
Apple Cinnamon Cake
A moist and flavourful apple cinnamon cake that tastes like a cross between a cheesecake and coffee cake.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 1 (serves 8)
- 2 medium apples
- 110g butter, softened (1/2 cup)
- 160g brown sugar (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 400g cream cheese (14oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g flour (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash, peel and core the apples. Then cut into small pieces.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F and coat a cake pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for 2min with an electric handmixer. Add in the eggs, cream cheese and vanilla and cream together for another minute.
- In a seperate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon stirring with a whisk until well combined. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix gently with a whisk until no flour specs remain.
- Add in the apples and gently fold under. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 1:20h-1:30h, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
- Brush the top of the cake with melted butter, let it soak in. Then mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on top of the cake.
Store the cake in an airtight container for up to 4 days, or freeze (before adding the topping) for up to 3 months wrapped tightly in foil. Keep the foil on when defrosting.