Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch auf Deutsch
This vegan sweet potato soup with carrots and leeks, topped with curried cashews, is a quick dinner that is nutritious and satisfying.
Admittedly, I went a little crazy on the veg last time I was grocery shopping. I bought a kilo of sweet potatoes, some yellow carrots, 2 cucumbers, as well as other goodies…all for moi. I decided to use some of the vegetables to make this cream soup, which has been on my blog for the last 4 years. I thought the recipe could use a little update … and don’t even get me started on the photos. (Here you can catch a glimpse of one of the old photos!)
I slightly tweaked the soup base to give it a more flavor by adding some cumin. I also added an extra recipe for curried cashews, which make a delicious topping for the sweet and creamy soup. I’m incredibly happy with how delicious it turned!
Reasons to like this soup
- Quick and easy
- Vegan and nutritious
- Suitable for meal prep
Totally optional, but totally recommended!
To add an extra oomph to our soup, we are topping it off with some homemade curried cashews. The vegetables take about 15 minutes to cook – just the right amount of time to
prepare the flavored nuts. All that you need is olive oil, curry powder, sweet paprika, cayenne, onion powder and salt. Feel free to increase the amount of cayenne if you like it spicy.
Be sure to keep a close eye on the curried cashews as they are roasting because the spices tend to burn quickly. If making this as a meal prep, let them cool completely and then store in an airtight container.
Aside from the curried cashews, I typically enjoy this soup with some vegan cream, fresh coriander, and either lemon or chili oil. Feel free to switch it up with other delicious toppings such as:
- Lemon zest
- Garlic oil
- Chili flakes
As mentioned, this soup freezes well. This is because we aren’t adding any dairy or dairy alternatives to our base. Typically, cream soups are enriched with coconut milk or (vegan) cream. However, our soup is already thick and creamy without any additions and can be enjoyed without them. If you prefer to add some cream, you can swirl it into the soup, shortly before serving.
The best way to freeze soup is filling it into a container that has the right size for the amount you are freezing. Avoid overfilling, as the soup expands when it freezes and this could cause damage to your container. Underfilling, however, should also be avoided, as it leaves too much air in the container and promotes freezer-burn.Print
creamy and delicious, perfect for cold weather days
- 600g sweet potatoes (1.3 lb)
- 2 large carrots
- 150 g leeks (5.6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1.2 l vegetable broth (5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan cream
- lemon or chili oil
- curried cashews (recipe below)
- fresh coriander, chopped
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes and carrots into bite sized pieces. Roughly chop the leeks.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and once hot, sauté the leeks for about 2 minutes, until soft. Add in the rest of the chopped vegetables and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Let it the vegetables cook for about 15 minutes, until tender. (In the meantime, make the curried cashews.)
- Add to a blender, along with cumin, nutmeg, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. (Or use an immersion blender.)
- Serve in bowls and garnish with vegan cream, lemon or chili oil, curried cashews and fresh coriander.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze (see instructions in the post).
Keywords: sweet potato soup, soup, vegan cream soup, leek soup
Crunchy and flavourful
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 115 g unsalted unroasted cashews (3/4 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 160C (320 F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all the spices together with the oil. Add the cashews and stir until they are evenly coated.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until they are fragrant and golden brown. Let them cool on the baking sheet.
Keywords: curried cashews, curry cashews, spiced cashews
Pin it for later